Friday, October 1, 2010

Technology's Effect on Interpersonal Relationships and Experiences

For my paper, I choose to create my own kind of question: How does technology (like the ones seen in "Digital Nation") negatively impact interpersonal relationships and life experiences?

Technology’s Effect on Interpersonal Relationships and Experiences

    We live in a world in which facebook friends have come to supplant real-life friends, we update our twitters more than we text our friends, and we vent to our tumblrs, online journals, and blogs more than we vent to our loved ones. The development and popularity of sites such as these were inevitable, given that since the earliest days of industrialization in the 19th century, Earth’s most brilliant humans have continually been coming up with new means and methods of technology that have consistently made things easier for us. We can be more efficient in our careers, work, studies, and even social lives due to the various mediums of complex, innovative technology that exists today. Despite all this, I have begun to question how positive and effective the creation of new technologies really is: at one point does it all become too much? Does this world that we live in, in which so much of what we do is rooted in technology, diminish our real-life experiences and interpersonal relationships? My viewing of the Frontline documentary, “Digital Nation,” definitely amplified these questions and others like them in my mind, as particular parts of the documentary examined interpersonal interaction via technology. 

    The part of the documentary that struck me the most was the segment in which its creator, Douglas Rushkoff, learned more about the concept known as “Second Life” in which people literally create avatars that look frighteningly like themselves and interact in places frighteningly similar to places that exist in our actual world. In the documentary, the creator enters an IBM branch that uses Second Life in the majority of its business endeavors and affairs. Viewers learn that employees hold conferences with clients and coworkers halfway around the world without ever meeting them in person and have become accustomed to conducting all business matters through this site. This concept entirely baffled and disturbed me. As a big believer in live, interpersonal interaction as the most effective means of communication, I find it hard to believe that work and ideas can be communicated as effectively through a site such as Second Life. In person, when you meet with a client or coworker to discuss ideas and issues, it is much easier to receive and take to heart feedback and criticism. In being able to see peoples’ facial expressions, body language, and even hearing certain inflection in their voices, we are able to, in my opinion, respond and converse in a more natural and genuine manner. A site such as Second Life does not mirror such real life interaction, despite its legitimate-looking, elaborate settings and avatar-people. Seeing a digital conference room on a computer screen does not provide the same sensual experience as being in one. Seeing digital avatars, however humanlike they may be, does not provide the same emotions and feelings as meeting with people in-person. It’s simply not real enough. One author from a site called Helium.com, focusing on communication in relationships, says “As we converse behind monitors and flip screens, we quickly lose the art of effective communication. The kind of interpersonal communication that can only be obtained with body language, eye contact and a firm hand shake." I think that existence of sites such as Second Life will down the line negatively affect human communication abilities, and even affect and mess around with the way we see the world. At what point does the already gradually fading line between real life and the digital world disappear completely? Will we eventually just become lazier than we already are and be able to sit on our couches all day and simply perform all interactions with the possession of a keypad and computer screen? This thought terrifies me.

    “Digital Nation” also covers the culture that surrounds popular video games such as World of Warcraft, through which gamers can interact with one another without ever having met in person. The video showed us footage from a gaming convention that brought all diehard World of Warcrafters together to both play the game together and meet in person for what in some cases was the first time ever. Creators of the documentary even interviewed couples that had met through World of Warcraft online communities that have since fallen in love. This segment of the documentary played with my emotions, making me feel sympathetic towards but also happy for these gamers simultaneously. It is sad that, for these gamers, the friendships they formed through their computers and video game consoles represent some of the most real relationships in their lives. Many of them, like one girl in the video admits, spend every waking moment on the computer playing games and the friends that play with them.  It’s tough to say if gamers retreat to their games as a result of feeling excluded from the outside world or if they feel excluded from the outside world because they identify so strongly with the games they play so religiously. According to a study conducted by Constance Steinkuehler and Dmitri Williams, examining the effects of MMOs (massively multiplayer online games), on gamers, such “contemporary media are a root cause for the decline of civic and social life in the United States rather than a mechanism for its maintenance.”

    Although I myself have never tried out “Second Life” or been involved in a gaming community like the World of Warcrafters depicted in the documentary, I have experienced the online world in other ways, and maintain the same feelings towards it as those I feel towards Second Life and gaming communities. Websites like facebook and twitter, which most of us use, also affect interpersonal relationships. On facebook, I have a lot of friends who I’ve talked to maybe once or twice in my life, or, in some cases, never at all. We know everything about everyone on our friends list, yet we don’t really know some of them at all. We know who their significant others are because of the relationship feed, know where to find them at particular moments of the day, and know what kind of mood they are in, yet we have never had an in-person conversation with them. Facebook, in some cases, even becomes a game that involves great strategy on behalf of some, as it seems as though people put up particular statuses just so certain people will see them and comment on them. That is the biggest problem with social networking sites--so much of what we do on them is for attention. We try to portray a certain kind of self to the internet world on our facebook, twitters, blogs, etc., but only if people know us in person, in the real world, do they really know who we are and how we really feel and act. 

    Though I’ve tried my hardest to antagonize technology within this paper, the inevitable confession that we all must make is that it does have many positive attributes. Without the continued development of technology, we wouldn’t be able to keep in touch with people as easily and would take a lot more time to accomplish tasks such as researching, writing, and typing. The thing about technology, though, is that it is often so addicting that we must be careful that we do not ignore the beautiful outside world waiting to be explored. No matter how much we can learn or obtain from technology, I think that we learn most by experiencing the world and all the different places and cultural opportunities it has to offer. It is things that we see in the world and people that we encounter in this world that shapes who we are and the way we view society. If we ignore this because of the efficiency and convenience of doing everything online through specific websites, we will not lead as fulfilled lives nor will we have as well-developed, solid, interpersonal relationships. 
Works Cited:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/digitalnation/

5 comments:

  1. To begin, your opening statement was very successful; It grabbed my attention by referring to things I, as well as many others, can easily relate to. You then began with very general information, starting as far back as the 19th century, and then worked your way into the more specific topic of how new technology is effecting our real-life experiences and relationships. It made me want to keep reading more, so I did!
    Now enough with my focus on structure. While we watched the video, Digital Nation, especially the portion on "Second Life," I was not sure if I was the only one who was entirely baffled by the concept. I had no idea it even existed and was even more-so shocked to hear that a company as well-known as IBM uses it for meetings! I'm glad to hear you agree. I am also glad to hear that you and I are on the same terms of believing interpersonal communications cannot be present anywhere but face-to-face. Although "Second Life" does allow you to speak into a microphone as your avatar, others still cannot see your facial expressions, your body language, etc., just as you mention. Because of this lack of reality, it may not be taken as seriously or as genuinely, which you pointed out. As a result of these not-so-real experiences found on Second Life, we truly are losing our abilities to communicate. To answer your question regarding eventually being able to sit on a couch all day interacting with the world using a screen and a keyboard, yes, I believe it will come down to this. I say "it will come down to this" negatively because I feel it really is a negative thing to be able to communicate with people from a computer screen and a couch. Truly terrifying indeed.
    We both mention World of Warcraft in our papers, but you put something into words that I was not able to. You took notice to that fact that we do not actually know if these gamers resort to these MMOs as ways to make friends because they are unable to in real life (whether that is because they are shy, an "outcast", etc.) or as just an entertainment experience, but through it they have made friends that sort-of outdo their real-life friends. You really do want to feel bad for these gamers, but in a sense we do not know if we should. These gamers seem to love what they do, love the friends they make and would not have it any other way. But one cannot ignore the question of whether or not this flocking to MMOs has begun to diminish our abilities to go out into the real world and make friends.

    (Cont'd...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Cont'd from last comment)

    I, myself, have also never tried "Second Life" or World of Warcraft, but I am an avid Facebook user. Although now I have limited my friends list to only people I may speak to once in a while and to only people I know in person (from school, from work, etc.), I did once have a list of way too many friends, many of whom I never spoke to and never met. As I mentioned in class, some of these people I would see in person after they had friend requested me on Facebook and they would act like they had no idea who I was! When in reality, they know what I look like, where I live, where I go to school, who I am friends with, who I am dating, what I do everyday of the week, etc. all from my Facebook page, which if they friend requested me, I would assume they looked at. It is almost annoying to see people creating Facebook to: get as many friends as they can without any care of who the friends actually are, get friends they can "creep" on and never ever acknowledge in person, and on a whole other level, portray themselves as people they really aren't.
    Your conclusion was very strong and, once again, allowed me as a reader to really relate. I like that you admit that technology is a wonderful thing, but there are just so many questions and issues we must be concerned with. I could not agree more with your statements that what we experience in the world around us, with the people around us in the places around us, can never be replicated by technology. It really is those interpersonal experiences and relationships that mold us as individuals. This last statement just made me think, if we continue to rely on technology as ways to portray who we are, our feelings, etc., will we one day all be the same? Will we all lose a great amount of our personality because we are constrained to how much we can portray in social networks?

    I sure hope not ...

    -Nicole Araque
    www.naraque33.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: Sorry about my formatting; Copying and pasting from Word did not work so well. =[

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole--I'm glad you share my feelings about the internet and things like Second Life and video game depleting interpersonal relationships and communication. I think one of the scariest things to think about is what we both discussed, about the world coming down to a bunch of humans sitting around on their couches clicking buttons and playing games without ever having to leave a single room. And I love that we have similar experiences in the facebook world, being friends on facebook with people who do not acknowledge us in the "real" world. I wish I wasn't so guilty of this as well, for there have been numerous times on this campus alone when I see someone I know everything about from facebook walking around. I then feel guilty and awkward when I don't greet them, seeing as I know everything about their lives because of facebook, and they probably know everything about mine because of facebook. I wish there was an easy way to escape this--I guess I could narrow down my friend list--but I think this is just what reality has come to in this day and age. Is it pessimistic of me to say I'm not looking forward to what the future is going to bring?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I didn't say before.. your blog at this point is earning you an A.. so keep it up..

    sounding great.
    TJ

    ReplyDelete